Any fan argument/discussion over the bra size of any particular female character in Daria. Boob wars have been fought since the earliest days of this fandom, and they are never resolved. A boob war will almost always involve three sides:
- Those who think a certain character's breasts are bigger than they appear in the show.
- Those who think that character's breasts are a lot smaller than the first group thinks.
- Those who cannot believe people are arguing over cartoon breasts.
The characters who are most often the center of attention here are Daria Morgendorffer, Helen Morgendorffer, Jane Lane, and Amy Barksdale. Proponents of both the Big side and the Small side are able to dredge up (cherry pick) screen captures "proving" their point. The issue even gets worked into fanfiction, again offering support to either one side or the other, and sometimes to both.
Perhaps the most tragic event that invariably occurs during a boob war is the sudden revelation by many fans, both female and male, of their breast cup sizes, which immediately causes the Big-Small argument to take on a more personal (and ad hominem) tone.
See also fanservice.
Boobs have been on the minds of Daria creators since day one. "Too Cute" was largely about plastic surgery and teenagers, with particular emphasis on boobs, such as the ones Daria Morgendorffer carried around in a box given to her by Dr. Shar. Quinn Morgendorffer even wonders if she should "get boobs." Brittany Taylor's boobs are the subject of occasional discussion (e.g., "Brittany, would you mind pointing those things in another direction?" from "Daria!"). And did we not get an image of Andrea burning her bra near the Washington Monument (what symbolism!) at the beginning of Is It College Yet? (And was it not clearly evident that Andrea had no bra on, and it was a "nippy" day?)
Daria fans are so enamored of boob wars that they have even developed neologisms that pertain to the topic. Most famous of these is "boobular," invented in 2003 by Kemical Reaxion (see this link for details). "Boobular" also appears in the Urban Dictionary, possibly as a result of a Daria fan placing it there.
MTV's contributions to boobs in Daria
- Andrea burns her bra in Is It College Yet? (image #40)
- 2001 Movie Awards: Loved It, Hated It (Daria and Quinn): On the MTV website, Daria and Quinn offer their reviews of (then) recent movies, with Daria expressing a distaste for movies that include "big boobs." She also appears to associate "big boobs" with "empty-headed bimbos." (Cherry pickers, start your engines!)
Boob war threads about Daria
- "Boob-fight erm...I meant discussion :)": a PPMB thread that was split when it went way off topic, notable for the intensity of the argument and the number of images attached to prove each person's personal breast theories
- "Cute Shirt": Discussion of Helen's generous attributes in fan art
- "Accidents Will Happen": Fanfiction discussion that went way off topic
Blog posts about boobs in "Daria"
- Daria Fandom Blog II uncovers the Great Amy Barksdale Mystery (where did her boobs go?) and other global concerns
- "I got new pages for "growing pains" Wouter's "Growing Pains"
- "Sexy Busty Daria...?" fan art
- "Legion of Lawndale Heroes": How Brittany Taylor copes being a superhero with a large chest
- Deref's comment: "We've had various discussions about Daria's height (short) and her boobs (small) here over the years."
- Wouter's comments about Jane and Daria
Boobs in other contexts, as expressed by Daria fans
Daria episodes that titillate
- This Year's Model ("Claude said my boobs were perfect.")
- Too Cute ("Oh, Daria, don't be shy. Show me your boobs.")
Daria fanfiction in which boobs are prominent
- "Bed and Breakfast Man: Giant Saturday" by Ruthless Bunny, in which Daria's bra size is revealed
- "Celebrity Jeopardy: Daria Edition, Episode 1: Breasts of Burden" by Derek
- "Making the Breast of It" by TAG
- "Mother's Milk" by Kara Wild
- "New Model Year" by Richard Lobinske
- "The New View" by Richard Lobinske
- "Sibling Rivalry" by Thomas
- "The Teachings of Doña Daria" by Lawndale Stalker
- "Sitting Cute" by Richard Lobinske