David Allen Farrington
First appearing in Legion of Lawndale Heroes 12.5, ‘Two Tribes’, David Allen Farrington is a Cadet First Class at the United States Academy of Extranormal Studies at Evansville, Indiana, and a member of The Alliance.
David Allen Farrington is a young man who was born with his mutant psionic powers switched on – a sign of extreme power among psychics. Born in London, England (to U.S. citizens) as a member of The Elite, David is unusual even for that group of super-humanly-powered individuals, as his vast psi-powers allowed him to resist the attempt of four trained and powerful psionics to bind his powers when he was one week old, and started showing signs of actually using his powers. The attempt resulted in the deaths of three of the telepaths and critical injuries being suffered by the remaining telepath when the infant David Allen interpreted their mental invasion as an attack and retaliated with his pyrokinetic power. If not for Vice Admiral Cassandra Farrington (his mother, and then a Commander in the U.S. Navy) using her ‘caretaker’ power to seal off that ability and calm the child, he would have killed the last telepath as well.
Only the fact that Cassandra chose to accept her late father's position as a member of the High Council of The Elite (becoming one of the four most powerful persons on Earth in terms of influence) and had the power to control him kept David Allen from being killed. (David Allen’s identical twin brother Colin Farrington was no problem, and his powers were bound easily.) As part of the deal to spare David Allen’s life, Cassandra had to promise to watch David Allen closely for signs of him abusing his power – and at age eleven, to give him up to Professor Richard Hiram Blumenberg, who enrolled him at USAES (after the very overt use of his powers during an Independence Day celebration – one which was witnessed by millions of persons across the entire West Coast of the United States). A slightly shy child, David Allen bonded almost immediately with his fellow members of Training Cadre 2996 – particularly with Kelly Springer, who would become his best friend, and with Julia Carlyle, who he would always have a complicated relationship with. During his 'Banding Day' ceremony, Eowyn LaSalle was assigned as his Elite Academy 'psionic peer mentor'; they formed a very close friendship beyond their studies, and he has remained in close contact with her even after her graduation (she is a U.S. National Park Ranger assigned to Sequoia National Park in California. David Allen himself became a 'psionic peer mentor' to Daniella Santos, a girl from Houston, Texas with fairly strong psi-abilities; she is currently ranked as a base-level Class Four psionic adept.
In the 'Judith Strikes!' fic 'Not So Different', it is revealed that the reason David Allen is addressed by both first and middle names was due to his mother's insistence that he maintain a veneer of formality even with friends so as they not become too close to him (in deference to his birth status in The Elite); in addition, he still feels the guilt of having maimed and killed the four telepaths who attempted to bind his powers as an infant (it is insinuated that his guilt has been fostered by family and others as a method of controlling his powers). This persona of formality that he projects is the reason for the nickname others in his generation and social circles have given him - 'Pins' (as he comes across as judgmental and distant to most others). It is also insinuated that the reason why David Allen is so powerful is that he possibly absorbed the combined powers of the four Elite telepaths during the Banding Ceremony (although he would perhaps been a Class Five adept after all, he may have not had access to the wealth of abilities he has at present). There is also speculation that the infant David Allen's reaction to the banding efforts was to accidentally draw upon the power of the cosmic-level entity known as the Phoenix Force and redirect it instinctively to defend himself. (Unlike Daria Morgendorffer, David Allen's primary empathic ability was more conducive towards summoning the emotion-based Phoenix Force - as opposed to the intellect-based Anti-Life Equation that Daria has demonstrated an equally-natural affinity for - and of a level that allowed him to resist being used as a physical vessel for the Force (as emotion-based powers allow for control of the entity, despite its staggering power). It has also been revealed that from a very early age until his second year at USAES, David Allen always kept inhalers on his person for use in any moment of even possible stress; these inhalers contained a solution composed of fast-acting 'flush' and non-addictive, low-level sedative, in order to keep him from manifesting his powers when agitated or frightened, or to immediately shut them down.
During his years at USAES, David Allen proved himself a superior student (surpassed only by Zoey Robertson in his own cadre); he graduated third from the First Academy (Zoey and Sherrie Klein were tied for valedictorian) and entered the Elite Academy with a double major in physiology (with designs on heading to medical school) and aeronautics. (He had strongly considered a major in communications - a common choice at USAES for psionics - but conversations with Professor Blumenberg changed his mind). He also took the full course in Healer classes the Academy offered during his time in both First and Elite Academies; he passed his Level One Healer certification boards during his second year in the Elite Academy, and took all of the psionic operations courses he was allowed (many of them calling for several two-week to one-month stays at 'Foundations', a research facility in Colorado that specialized in psionic research). Starting as a Cadet Second Year (along with Maryann Lyter) David Allen began taking training courses for his 'Project Starseed' qualifications. He is currently holding a cumulative 3.96 GPA in his studies.
David Allen developed a flair for unconventional operations (and a taste for action and excitement) that the other members of The Alliance have found annoying (Lindy Lomard has referred to this inclination as ‘his annoying love of the chase’), but which the Professor encouraged. Always having an inclination for flight (he is one of the best flyers at USAES), David Allen was persuaded by the Professor to use his internship year to attend flight school at Pensacola Naval Air Station; with a brevet rank as a naval ensign, he received his wings and qualified on the F/A-18A. It was just after his graduation from flight school that he received word of the Professor’s death; he returned with the rest of The Alliance, who served as his pallbearers at the Professor’s funeral at Arlington National Cemetery.
In their fourth year at the Elite Academy, David Allen and The Alliance met the members of the Legion of Lawndale Heroes; he was instantly drawn to Daria Morgendorffer (as were several other psionics of high levels at the Academy, including Leda Calavicci). Later, at the prodding of Julia, David Allen and the other Alliance members offered to serve as the ‘aggressor force’ in a virtual reality training sequence; David Allen was playful and willing at first, but after being insulted by Quinn Morgendorffer, decided to ‘teach her a lesson about insulting psychics’. During the training sequence, he went all-out against the Legionnaires - and after further insults by Quinn, tapped into the Phoenix Force and unleashed his full power against them. As a result of his actions, he was given non-judicial punishment by Rafael Vargas (as Deputy Cadet Commander of Corps), which included being compelled to wear a Mark 40 ‘compliance band’ (which dampened his powers) – and writing letters of apology to the Legionnaires. During the Legion's time at the Academy, Tom Sloane is assigned to quarters with David Allen and their mutual enmity is instantly apparent; it is revealed in 'Not So Different' that Tom (although younger) was the leader of his own little group of children who frequently taunted him - on his thirteenth birthday, even doing so in his own room during a birthday party for him and Colin - and that is the reason for their mutual dislike.
Currently in his final year at USAES, David Allen has now been promoted to the post of Deputy Cadet Commander of Corps, succeeding Rafael Vargas, who was appointed Cadet Commander of Corps after Martin Peters' graduation and commissioning as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force. He also acts as a Teacher's Assistant for one of the sections in the beginning-level Introductions to Psionics course for the First Academy, and is currently the sitting Esper Prime (succeeding Eowyn, his 'psionic peer mentor' until her graduation).
In June of 2012, David Allen graduated with the USAES Class of 2012; he received Bachelor of Science degrees in Physiology and Aeronautics. Because of his exemplary record, accomplishments and class standing (he graduated fifth in his class, just behind Yaniv Ernet), he was commissioned as a Lieutenant Junior Grade in the U.S. Navy.
David Allen is a mutant who possesses extremely powerful psionic abilities; like Amorette Molyneux, Leda Calavicci, Yaniv Ernet and Daria Morgendorffer, he is registered as a natural Class Five psionic. All of his powers are dependent upon his mental state and willpower; drugs and injuries that affect his mental state can lessen or suppress his powers, or cause them to go out of control. For this reason, David Allen has a Mark 30 psionic power augmenter, which he wears at all times (unless he has taken a does of 'Flush' to dampen his powers. David Allen is especially susceptible to psionic-oriented weapons of technological or mystic origin; his own powers are weakened in their presence (unless he augments his powers by tapping into the Phoenix Force). In 'Not So Different', it was shown that (like all other telepaths at USAES) David Allen was issued an upgraded Mark 31 augmenter.
He has demonstrated the following powers:
- Empathy: Considered David Allen’s primary ability, he possesses a staggeringly powerful empathic ability that allows him to detect the emotional/physical states, surroundings, and location of multiple targets, as well as manipulate existing emotional states on others (but not imposing his own emotional state or them, or creating emotional states not present). This ability is two-way, as he can also transmit his own emotional state or those of others individuals; while he usually does this to a single person or several, he can also transmit in a general, wide-band burst that also sends out the location of the person. The range for this power is 100 miles, which means that he can affect massive numbers of people (easily millions, if he so chooses) at once. David Allen can also override the broadcast empathic, hypnotic, mental- and emotion-control powers of other metahumans/devices/ environments (regardless of the method of the control exerted), but only within a ten-mile radius of his location.
- Telepathy: David Allen is an exceptionally powerful telepath; along with other young psionics such as Daria Morgendorffer and Amorette Molyneux, he is currently one of the most powerful telepaths on Earth. He can contact the mind of anyone within a 8,000 mile range, communicate with them, or probe their thoughts; he can perform the above without effort if the target is within 4,000 miles of him. (However, in order to perform a deep probe, he must be within 1000 miles of the target. Also, these ranges are his natural ability without a Mark 30/31 augmenter to boost his range and effect.) Unlike most other telepaths, David Allen's 'psi-speech' is relatively slow, as it is only ten times faster than normal speaking; it has been surmised that this is in fact a natural safety measure for his powers, as it keeps David Allen from accidentally damaging normal humans and lesser-powered telepaths by forcing far too much information into their brains and causing physical damage, considering his power levels. He can transmit and receive in audible means, through actual text/symbols, or through images; this allows him to engage in limited communication in persons and or beings that do not speak in languages he knows, or do not have written/spoken language (such as the higher orders of animals). David Allen's telepathic power is so strong that he can use it to bridge dimensional barriers; he has done this before to bridge the Astral Plane and the Dream Dimension. His power is also capable of bridging solid and energy barriers (such as walls, massive amounts (as in miles) of earth and water, or extreme energy fluctuations or barriers); only energy fields and materials specifically created to bar psi-transmission can dampen David Allen's telepathic powers.
- Sense Alteration: Because of the manner and capacity in which his telepathic power allows him to communicate with the minds of others, David Allen can also manipulate the senses of other beings, allowing him to control what they perceive through all of their physical senses and allow them to perceive only what he wishes them to. Because of the level of David Allen's telepathic powers, this ability is nearly indistinguishable from the psionic power of Hallucination Generation (the psionic form of Holographic Image Generation), which acts upon only the mind of a target and cannot be seen by others unless their minds are also targeted. This ability has a three-mile radius, and can be countered by psionic dampening/negation powers and devices.
- Telekinesis: David Allen is a powerful telekinetic at the same level as Amorette Molyneux; both have the lifting capacity of a Daxamite or Kryptonian. Unlike most telekinetics, who visualize their TK power as an extension of their physical selves (which is why most TK-users envision their power as an arm), David Allen's power acts as a field-effect that allows him to manipulate everything that he chooses within that area at the molecular level with no loss of power; because of this, David Allen's power is categorically more powerful and effective, as his use of his TK power allows him to mimic field-level effects of other powers. (For example, he can stop hundreds or even thousands of projectiles in flight, or manipulate immense numbers of items in his area of effect.) When using his power in this manner, he has an effective manipulation range of three miles; when using his TK power in a normal manner, his range is six miles. He can perform seventeen individual tasks with no loss of strength, but must be in line-of-sight (or have means to see the object) to manipulate it. David Allen can also use his powers to fly at 4,000 MPH (or Mach 6) until he is mentally fatigued.
- Telekinetic force-blasts: David Allen can fire telekinetic force-blasts with enough force (at full power) to vaporize a modern-era main battle tank from fifteen miles away. He can also use these blasts for flight propulsion, or as afterburners for hypersonic/extra-atmospheric TK flight (where he can reach Mach 20+ speeds - sufficient for escaping the Earth's atmosphere) for as long as he can maintain his powers. He has also learned how to focus the totality of his power in order to generate his ‘Prime Bolt’ – a pseduo-plasmic TK blast that possesses enough force to seriously injure a Daxamite with even a grazing blow, or attempt to strike targets in low Earth orbit for severe damage. David Allen can strike targets from line-of sight range; it is possible for him to strike targets in low Earth orbit (as he can use his telepathy, empathy or telelocation to lock on). It takes David Allen six seconds to focus his power and activate his `Prime Bolt' , during which time he is vulnerable to attack. He can only fire one time (without using the power of the Phoenix Force); afterward, he must rest for several minutes, and all of his powers are halved in duration, intensity and effect for a period of one to ten hours. Unless he uses the power of the Phoenix Force to instantly replenish his own energies (and this is not something he can do on anything remotely resembling a regular basis), David Allen can only use his Prime Bolt once per twenty-four hours.
- Psychometry: David Allen has the mentally ability to 'see' the past or present of a person, item or area, or use that ability on himself (to see past events that he may not have aware of.) He can see 75 weeks (roughly eighteen months) into the past when using his power; when using it on his friends, possessions or places that he has a personal connection with, he can see 100 weeks (or twenty-three months) into the past, and when using the power on himself, David Allen can see 150 weeks (or 2.8 years) into the past. (It should be noted that these are his personal limits without using psi-augmentation devices. Using his Mark 30/31 allows David Allen to increase his power, and thus his range in terms of years/distance.) When using the power to see a person's present, he must have an item that belongs to them. If he does, he can see the person and their surroundings up to 4000 miles away. When in a psychometric vision, David Allen sees events as if he is actually in the room as the event is occurring; psionics with applicable powers (in the actual time and place that he is scanning) may be able to detect his presence and the fact that he's having a psychometric vision.
- Astral Projection: David has the ability to project his astral self and travel vast distances; he can travel up to 300,000 miles away almost instantly (which means that he can reach the Moon, if he so desires). He can easily bridge the Astral Plane and Dream Dimension with his astral form; unlike a number of other high-powered psionics, David Allen cannot make his form visible or tangible in the Earth Dimension. (He can, however, use his mental powers through his astral form.) As a result of his expanded training in the ASTRO program, David Allen can manifest his astral form in a specifically-chosen self-image for astral combat. In David Allen's case, his ASTRO-form manifests as a VF-1J Veritech Fighter (from the Japanese animated series 'Robotech').
- TK force-charges: David Allen can generate small, pyramid-shaped constructs of pseudo-plasmic/TK energy that act as missiles. Each of the 'force-charges', is pink in color (as are all of David Allen's energy-effects, save his 'Prime Effect'), can track on heat signatures, brainwaves or energy signatures, and operates like the AMRRAM air-to-air missile (each charge can move at speeds of up to Mach 8, strike out to fifty miles, and can detonate with the force of up to twice that of an AMRRAM). He has also learned how to perform a 'Tekestorm' - a simultaneous release of more than one hundred force-charges that home in on multiple targets; David Allen can perform conditionally unlimited 'Tekestorm' releases (he has been tested at firing over seventeen hundred continuous releases over a half hour period). If necessary, David Allen can destroy these charges in flight by mental command. It has been shown that David Allen, like others with this ability, can control both the force and the energy output of the charges; during a celebration, he and several others used their opwers to perform a spectacular fireworks display.
- TK force shields/fields: David Allen's shields (which also protect from mental, emotional and mystic attack) can withstand a near-hit from a nuclear weapon.
- Mental blasts: David Allen can project mental blasts (only from his forehead) that can instantly render any unshielded being unconscious. His power can also be re-modulated to act as an offensive weapon with double the the power and range of a 30MM GAU-8_Avenger Gatling-style rotary cannon, capable of destroying even heavily-armored adversaries. David Allen can project these energies as single pulses, pulse-streams (which resemble tracer fire from a rotary cannon) or as a long-duration beam. When in flight or psionic combat, this is David Allen's primary weapon; he almost exclusively uses this power in the pulse-stream mode.
- Teleportation: David Allen can teleport himself and others up to 4000 miles away. The process is pinpoint-accurate, but anyone he teleports with him will suffer severe feelings of nausea afterwards. As a result, David Allen only uses this power when necessary.
- Psionic Containment: David Allec can create ‘blisters’ of pure mental force to temporarily contain other psionics. These 'blisters' only last for up to five minutes.
- Power Control: David Allen can totally shut down another beings' powers for up to thirty seconds. He can repeat this on the same person only once every ten minutes.
- Neural manipulation: David Allen can generate painful or pleasurable sensations in others through neural control. He can only do this through touch or from one meter away, and his power cannot work through shields or physical barriers like walls, etc. (NOT clothes).
- Power Duplication: David Allen can temporarily duplicate other mental powers. Both David Allen and the other person must be wearing a Salazarium object, be in mental/physical contact (or a power that mimics physical contact) for the duplication to occur. The other person may in turn duplicate any of David Allen's powers, as well.
- Psychic Healing: David Allen has the ability to instantly heal any illness or physical trauma (save those of genetic origin). In addition, he cannot heal non-life-threatening physical conditions (like myopia or obesity), mental conditions, or diseases/conditions related to the aging process. He also cannot revive deceased persons. David Allen can heal persons up to a hundred meters away.
- Mental Surgery: David Allen has the ability to perceive mental manipulations in other’s minds. He can also ‘unlock’ latent psionic abilities in other persons, and has a limited ability to disable some mental manipulations.
- Reality Alteration: David Allen has the ability to alter and manipulate the fabric of reality itself. He can only perform this within an exact twenty-foot sphere around himself. Within this sphere, David Allen is limited only by his imagination and experience in what he can do. He can use this power as long as he is mentally capable, but drains ALL of his other powers for twice the length of time that he has used this ability. David Allen cannot increase the area of effect of this ability in any way, and can use the ability only three times in a twenty-four hour period.
- The Phoenix Force: David Allen has a very limited ability to tap into the Phoenix Force to increase his powers. Doing so causes mental/physical strain on David Allen; also, trying to maintain the increased power level for too long can cause actual physical damage, or put him into a catonic state.
He has also developed several special variant uses of his powers. Among those are:
- ‘Warhammer Mode’- temporarily increasing his strength and physical resistance to Kryptonian levels with his telekinesis.
- ‘Convergence’ – the ability to link any number of persons psionically; anyone in the link can use any powers/skills that anyone else in the link possesses.
In addition to his psionic powers, David Allen has enhanced physical abilities. He has the endurance of an Olympic-class athlete, can lift (with difficulity) 2000 pounds (he can lift up to 800 pounds with no effort), and has extraordinary natural agility at the edge of what a human (even with superhuman physical powers) can possess.
Former (?) powers
While still an infant, David Allen manifested (alone with other abilities) the metahuman power of pyrokinesis. This power was contained by Cassandra Farrington, his mother, and he has never been able to manifest it since; even advanced training and repeated attempts by powerful psionics to help him manifest (along with his mother's repeated attempts to use her 'gatekeeper' power to 'unlock' the ability) have failed.
As seen in the LLH 'Daylight' fic 'In My Dreams' (when used by Cassandra against several members of The Elite and Arcana), David Allen's pyrokinetic ability is easily one of his most powerful abilities, as Cassandra (from a secure area somewhere in Great Britain; it is assumed to be, like his empathic power, one of his 'gateway' abilities) was able to reach out and incinerate multiple Elite and Arcana members in locations around the globe. Her threat to use her pyrokinetic power to cause global devastation was also taken seriously by Arcana and Elite leaders. In the LLH 'Daylight' universe, the constant EM-field bombardment of Earth by CMEs (coronal mass ejections) from the Sun has resulted in the disruption of Cassandra's powers (in that her binding of many Elite and Arcana members' powers has now been negated). Between this and the destruction of an artificial EM flux created specifically in the 1970's to inhibit long-range use of psionic powers, it is possible that David Allen's pyrokinetic powers have been released; he is simply not aware of it yet.
David Allen, like all members of The Alliance, has a Salazarium-laced item created by Sherrie Klein. Unlike the others, who have jackets, David Allen wears a duster-style long coat. (He changed to the duster after his jacket was ridiculed by Quinn Morgendorffer, who he still harbors a slight dislike of.) His duster allows him to fly without using his own powers, acts as a form of body armor, (also giving some protection against mystical powers and effects), and has a microciever allowing him to stay in touch with the other members of The Alliance (for unknown reasons, they have chosen to not use the telepathic-communication ability that Salazarium allows). His duster possesses the on-board circuitry of a Mark 30 augmenter, allowing him to forgo wearing the band in combat; the duster also is equipped with a ‘psionic mask’ that hides his powers from psi-detection powers and devices, a on-board, low-intensity DRADIS/LIDAR system (that operates in conjunction with his sunglasses) and the same micro-environmental-field generator Maryann Lyter has in her jacket, allowing him to survive in hostile environments.
When in combat, David Allen also wears an eight-inch long spring-lock blade on his right wrist. He was inspired to do so by Wayne Tucker, another telepath and an instructor he studied with at Foundations. David Allen also wears a pair of wraparound sunglasses (designed for him by Sherrie Klein) with a regenerating energy-screen seal (effectively becoming a part of his face); the glasses can be removed by mental command, or by depressing a control on his Mark 30/31 that deactivates the seal. The glasses provide a 360-degree, three-dimensional virtual view of the airspace he is flying in, in addition, a virtual targeting reticule is generated from the left lens, while the right lens provides a number of other data indicators (such as his estimated power levels/combat viability, Mark 30/31 status, flight information, and DRADIS/LIDAR data reception capabilities, and are also treated to protect his eyes against damaging light-effects that could damage or blind a person. David Allen has a number of these sunglasses, and always carries a second pair in a special glasses case made of Secondary Adamantium; Sherrie crafted the case (and the glasses) for him as a special commission, for which she received a princely sum.
David Allen has a double major in Pre-Med and Aeronautics. He has received his EMT qualifications and has received his flight wings (he is qualified on single-engine and jet aircraft). He has learned to speak fluent Russian through psi-teaching from Wayne Tucker. He has also completed several specialized psionics courses, for which he has received certifications in the following areas:
- received his Level One Healer qualifications (use and understanding of psi-healing skills)
- been specifically trained to perform and resist long-term mental interrogation techniques.
- has been trained in psionic power- and life detection techniques
- has received perfect marks in psionic defense and attack procedures; also certified as an assistant instructor in psionic defense/attack, and helps train psionic cadets in the First Academy
- has completed his training in psionic communications, and has been certified for secure long-distance psionic communications duties
- completed his Psionic Examination and Legal Transcription (PELT) certification (any testimony he gives in a court of law gathered with his psi-powers is admissible).
- has completed five certification levels in the 'Leviathan' psionic armaments-enhancement training program. (In actuality, David is qualified to receive at least eight, as he received training for others from the Professor as part of his Alliance special training.)
- has received his certification in the Astral Special Tactical Response Operations (ASTRO) course for out-of-body/psionic combat. His ASTRO special form is that of a VF-1V Veritech transformable mecha from the animated series Robotech: The Macross Saga, of which he is a very big fan.
- has completed the full slate of Tactical Psionic Operations elective courses (excepting those available only to female cadets) that train psionics for front-line combat operations (the courses are also known informally as 'Combat Psi').
- has completed the 'Hellhound' advanced psionic operations certification procedures process with superior marks, and acts as a 'Red Rabbit' (a term for wanted telepaths actively being sought by the authorities) for training purposes.
David Allen is skilled in acrobatics and tumbling. He has high-level rankings in Tae Kwan Do and Isshinryu Karate, and he has trained with Maryann Lyter on a regular basis since being a Cadet First Year in the First Academy, which has given him excellent skills in knife fighting (though nowhere near her level of skill). While well-trained in the martial arts, David Allen is not inclined towards physical combat unless severely provoked - and then (like the other members of his family) is more inclined towards killing his enemies in combat. This is a part of himself that he has always tried to suppress.
He plays guitar, violin and piano (the first two because he likes them, the latter because of his mother's insistence), and is an excellent ballroom dancer (again, because of his mother). The Professor also encouraged him to develop these skills as a way to combat his shyness, as well as his talent for ‘unconventional tactics’. (After the events of LLH 12.6, Rafael has taken a very dim view of his tactics.) Like Maryann, Leda and Sidney Simon, David Allen has been trained for 'Project Starseed' duties - and also like those fellow cadets, he has been heavily involved with dance in several stage productions during his Elite Academy career.
David Allen is interested in going on (after graduation) to medical school; he has already contacted several universities, all of which are excited about the possible prospect of him attending. He has expressed an interest in obstetrics or possibly general surgery, but is now starting to lean towards going into family practice, where he can help a great many persons (sometimes with the help of his psi-powers), and also, because the lower salaries paid general practitioners would not be a burden to him.
- David Allen was born in London, in the United Kingdom, on October 31 – Halloween, at 3:00 a.m. His twin brother, Colin, was born exactly twenty hours later, at 11:00 p.m. (He is exactly four years older than Daria Morgendorffer, as they share the same birthday.)
- As the firstborn (and pure-blood) member of a High Council member in this generation, as well as being born psionic, David Allen is considered royalty within The Elite. He holds the title of ‘Dauphin’ – by Elite law, the seat held by his mother belongs to him when she chooses to step down - and is treated with the utmost deference by Elite (and even Arcana) members upon meeting. He is not a member of the ‘True Humans’ or Network conspiracies within The Elite and Arcana, although either would welcome him with open arms, should he ever wish to take power in the ranks of The Elite.
- As a show of respect, David Allen wore his naval ‘dress whites’ and wings instead of his cadet uniform (as did Rafael Vargas and Fabian Nogura) at the funeral of Professor Blumenberg. Similarly, the other members of The Alliance did likewise. Jeffrey Brace and Carolyn Field wore their United States Marine Corps dress blues, Kelly and Lindy wore their U.S. Air Force uniforms (and flight wings), Zoey wore her U.S. Coast Guard dress uniform, Julia wore a normal black dress and jacket that displayed her provisional F.B.I. Special Agent badge with a black band around it, and Maryann wore her U.S. Army dress uniform and red Airborne beret. As provisional officers (and in Julia's case, Special Agent status), they all had the right to do so.
- The code-name David Allen uses as a member of The Alliance - 'Esper Prime' - is actually an unofficial ranking within the community of psi-active cadets at USAES, which is bestowed upon the most gifted psi-active cadet currently enrolled. David Allen has held the rank of Esper Prime since the beginning of his term as a Cadet Second Year, making him one of the longest-ranked Espers Prime in the history of the Academy to date.
- During his internship year, David Allen picked up the nickname 'Cal'; it is now his 'call-sign' when in the air. The name came because of his youth and the fact that he was trained to fly the F/A-18 Super Hornet (also known as the 'Rhino'; as a 'calf' is a baby rhino. The older pilots shortened the name (by removing the 'f') upon his leaving to return to the Academy, as he never failed at any tasks he was asked to accomplish (yet still needling him); they sent his flight helmet to him at USAES, decorated with a young rhino in a diaper.
- In the Legion of Lawndale Heroes 'Mini' Fraternity Brothers, he is shown to keep Sparkle Zero in a mini-fridge in his room in Gilmore Hall.
- In the Worldburner fic Not So Different, it was revealed that David Allen's 'fraternity nickname' within the younger members of The Elite is 'Pins' - a reference to the phrase 'on pins and needles', for the unease most other children (and many adults) felt in his presence due to his powers and the horrendous accident that happened when he was an infant (see Biography). It was further revealed that this unease is perhaps the reason why Tom Sloane and David Allen have been at odds since childhood (as well as the reason for Tom's general fear/unease around telepaths).
- Like most telepaths at USAES, David Allen is unusually fond of biscuits and sausage gravy. He likes all things lemon except for (strangely enough) lemonade, and loves cooking breakfasts.
- David Allen has a moderate-to-severe allergy to fresh cherries; he also loves the taste of fresh cherries.
- Because of his birth and childhood spent in the United Kingdom, David Allen would be normally be on the deferred or banned lists for blood donation. However, because of both his own healing abilities and the extended period of time that he has been around Julia Carlyle (in which he has been exposed to her ultra-powerful, broad-spectrum healing abilities), David Allen (as well as all members of his immediate family) are listed as having a 'Diamond'-class exemption to the ban. This means that, after a documented and verified use of any healing ability upon his person (while in the presence of no less than two certified medical officers or American Red Cross specialists) and a two-hour waiting period, David Allen can donate blood. (David Allen also has Type O-negative blood; between that and the fact that the effects of his healing ability linger in his blood after any use of his healing ability, his blood is prized for use in critical trauma cases; several units of his blood, and the blood of other metahumans with similar abilities, is kept on hand by the Federal Government for use in 'life-threatening situations concerning individuals of extreme national significance'.)