I trust you
I trust you
"I trust you" is Wouter Jaegers' latest Dariarotica comic. Having been drawn from November 2009 until late may 2010, making it both his last Daria-related piece of 2009 and his first of 2010. The story is set several years after the events from Is It College Yet?
Main plotFour years after graduation, the now twenty-something Daria is seen attending a Party at Lane Jane getting increasingly intoxicated and behaving in an overly sexual manner. Daria is feeling embarrassed by this behavior because it reminds her of the previous time she had been at a Party at the Lane residence.
That party was the graduation party after Daria and Jane left Lawndale High. Daria was helping Jane to set the whole thing up, Jane would take care of the decorations and Daria would get furniture and cutlery from the upstairs guest room. But after arriving at the second story of the house she suddenly hears a sound and finds Trent in that room having sex with a girl. The girl notices Daria and winks at her, Daria shyly gives her a thumbs up back, being both to embarrassed and too shocked to walk away. Daria then notices Trent's eyes and the look of sheer all consuming lust in them. So far she'd known Trent as this soft spoken and Gentle person but there and then she was witnessing his savage side. As the couple intensifies their sexual act Daria's body begins to respond to the sexual energy and the lustful look in Trent's eyes and swears to herself that someday she would see Trent look at her in the same way.
And that's why she finds Jane's overly sexual behavior when drunk embarrassing, since Jane's look of pure lust is a perfect duplicate of Trent's always reminding her of the so far impossible to fulfill promise she made to herself. It is then that Jane in her alcohol fueled stage violently slams into Daria, sending her face first into a wall. After Daria comes around Trent is standing there apologizing on Jane's behalf for slamming her into that wall. After Daria asks why Jane isn't apologizing herself, Trent replies that Jane and Max Tyler have left the party early. Daria agrees that she saw that coming and demands her glasses back since she probably will cause bigger damage if she isn't wearing them. Trent then goes that her glasses are the second reason why Jane asked him to apologize on her behalf before producing the broken remains of Daria's glasses.
With a groan of frustration coming from Daria's lips Trent asks if she doesn't have a spare pair, remarking that when the Spiral has a performance, he always takes along two guitar so he can continue playing even if a string snaps or some other malfunction puts his main guitar out of order. Daria sighs and remarks that she DOES have a spare pair of glasses but also that she's against ever wearing them since they are a fashionable pair that she got on her birthday from Quinn
But after putting them on Daria notices that Trent looks at her differently and she knows that look, she knows that look very well.
The following morning Jane also notices that Daria is wearing the glasses she got from Quinn. After reminding Jane on why she has to wear the glasses Daria then asks if Jane knows any good Barber shops, since she wants a haircut too.
Mystic Spiral song lyrics
- " 'T was like a storm in the room, like a race on Castle Combe. With your eyes full of lust as I gained your trust, breaking through your dome and I took you home. Rescue came too late, rescue came too late, rescue came too late but the sex sure was great. Yeah!"
- The story was meant to have a transition from the normal Daria to the future Daria depicted in Write Where it Hurts, Daria is seen wearing the blue turtle neck sweater and gray skirt from the Future Daria while in the duration of the story she also gets the small oval rimmed glasses and the different hairstyle.
- The song Daria sings in page 28 is the song "Tender" by the British band Blur
- Daria's dialog in page 16 of "I'm glad you see things my way, do we have to keep on talking 'till we can't go on" is a reference to the opening lyrics of the song "We can work it out" by The Beatles which goes: "Try to see it my way, Do I have to keep on talking 'till I can't go on?"
- Trent's room has a Rasta Frank poster, Rasta Frank is Wouter's Rastaman alter ego under which he records reggae versions of well known songs.
- Another poster in Trent's room says "Jeremy Clarkson for President" while a poster in Lane household kitchen says "Richard Hammond for President"
- I trust you (NSFW)