Scientific Stuff is an episode of Beavis and Butt-head which aired on May 17, 1993. It is the very first speaking appearance of Daria Morgendorffer on Beavis and Butthead. It was written by David Felton.
Science teacher Mrs. Dickie is unimpressed with Beavis and Butt-head's science project -- a recreation of the Challenger space shuttle disaster -- and asks Butt-head could so such a thing. "Beavis helped me," he replies, as the two air guitar. She forces the two to do another report:
- Mrs. Dickie: And this time I want you to work with Daria Morgendorffer, our straight-A student who won the science award last year.
- Daria: But Mrs. Dickie, Beavis and Butt-head are complete imbeciles!
- Beavis: Yeah, she's right!
Butt-head is disgruntled that they're going to have to work with "Diarrhea".
Daria heads over to Beavis and Butt-head's "home".
- Butt-head: It's her.
- [Daria enters]
- Daria: Hey, Butt-head.
- Butt-head: Hey, Dia ... I mean, Daria.
- [As Daria walks in past the pair she looks heavenward with exasperation]
- Daria: You guys think of any new science projects?
- Beavis: Yeah. If you pour salt on a snail a lot of scientific stuff happens!
- Butt-head: [holding a magnifying glass] We could burn some ants!
- Beavis: We could have Butt-head sit on a big glass jar and then fart!
- Daria: What's scientific about that?
- Beavis: Nothing, until you light it!
- Daria: How does a person learn a skill like that?
- Butt-head: Everything I know, I learned from my dad.
- Beavis: Yeah, me too!
- Daria: Really? You both have the same dad?
- Butt-head: Er, we're not sure. It's possible!
- Daria: [thinking; a glowing light bulb appears] Hmmm ... I think I have an idea for a science report!
- Beavis and Butt-head: [thinking; matches fail to light]
Daria finally figures out a way for Beavis and Butt-head to contribute...as guinea pigs in her presentation "Idiocy -- Genetic or Environmental?"
- Beavis: By changing the shape of my mouth I create different vibrators ...
- Daria: [whispering behind her hand] Vibrations!
- Beavis: Uh, vibrations ... that can be used to play a song. My uncle taught me this trick, only he used a bat!
- [Everyone applauds, including Daria]
- Beavis: Thank you.
- Butt-head: Here's something my dad taught me. If you, like, take three deep breaths and then you blow on your thumb, sometimes you pass out.
- [Butt-head begins to demonstrate, while Beavis resumes his "song"]
- Daria: And so we raise an age-old question: Idiocy - Genetic or Environmental? I think our examples of Beavis and Butt-head indicate that both are contributing factors.
- [Butt-head passes out]
- Daria: I rest my case!
Daria returns to Beavis and Butt-head's home afterward:
- Daria: You guys were great! I don't know anyone else who'd be willing to make such fools of themselves.
- Butt-head: Hey, Diarrhea!
- Daria: [cautiously] Yeah?
- Butt-head: Do you, like, get periods?
- Daria: Butt-head, why don't you try this experiment? Analyze the friction caused by digitally oscillating your wiener!
- [Beavis and Butt-head laugh]
- Butt-head: That was cool!
In some broadcasts of the episode, a part is removed when Daria arrives at the house of Beavis and Butt-head. The suggestions of the lads that revolve around setting fire are removed. Many of the early episodes were censored to remove depictions of and references to fire, after a mother claimed that the programme had inspired her child to burn down their trailer.
Daria winning "the science award last year" implies that she's been at Highland for more than one year - the events of Daria indicate that she was in ninth grade for most or all of Beavis and Butt-head. "The science award" has to be something she got outside of Highland High.
- This episode has not been collected on DVD, and likely never will be.
- At the beginning of the episode - where Daria is first introduced - Grandstaff's voice for Daria is in a higher register. It almost sounds as if acted by a different voice actor.
- This was the first B&B episode where we saw more of their house than just the couch: the two meet up with Daria in Beavis' bedroom. The full explaination of what's in and around that room is described in "This Book Sucks" where disturbingly, Butt-Head refers the pillow on the bed as "Beavis' girlfriend".
- Scientific Stuff is the only episode of Beavis and Butt-head where Daria has a major plot contribution. In other episodes where Daria has a speaking role, she does not play a central role in the plot and merely provides observation.
- Daria is wearing what essayist CF calls "Outfit #2": Yellow jacket, tan skirt, gray shirt, black leggings, brown boots, and a small necklace. This was her first outfit on the show and quickly changed, but she'd wear it throughout the run of the comics.
Beavis and Butt-head and Daria by CF: Essay on Outpost Daria (via Wayback Machine)